Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Berlin Day 7 - 8/30

Hallo!

I finally had a more restful day.  At least no strange surprises and no time commitments.  The weekend was fun, but its Monday and all the business travelers have come to town, all the kids have gone back to school, so I should somehow get to work (Hmmm, not yet!).  

I spent most of my day back in Prenzlauar Berg.  I only got a glimpse from yesterday's adventure, and according to my books this part of town has been completely revitalized in the last 10 years.  I started my day with a big breakfast at a Russian Cafe (mostly cheeses).  Then I wandered lazily through the streets and shops.  It is the perfect 30 + neighborhood with cute garden and decor shops, little clothing boutiques, lots of kids stores, cafes, parks, and restaurants all over these tree lined streets.  If I were to have my fourth house in Berlin (after SD, Phx, and NYC), it would be in this area. 

When I was through meandering, I decided to go to the East Side Gallery (aka - the Berlin Wall).  WOW!!  I was stunned by the severity and hopefulness that exist on this wall at the same time.  Even though Berlin has so many reminders of their unstable past, they have a sense of optimism that is based in their own reality.  I am so moved by it.  I sort of thought I'd come here and find many grumpy people, but it seems opposite.  It seems like their history makes it more urgent for the people to create the lives that they want. That is why the arts are booming here.  And that is why I love Prenzlauar Berg.  It was once in East Berlin and I just get the vibe that these people are taking their lives into their own hands now and rebuilding.  

I almost took the night off of dance, but then at the last minute thought I may as well try to get tickets to the sold out show...and I did!  It was a program that supported new artist on the scene.  And the dance "scene" was there, by the way.  Dancers who only days earlier performed naked on stage in front of me, sat next to me covered up in their scarves and coats.  They seemed like mini-celebs.

Marc will be getting here in 33 hours (not that I'm counting)!!!  We then leave Saturday morning for Greece.  It seems like a world away considering the rain, cold, and urban culture of Berlin, but it will be exciting and luxurious.  

I miss you all.

Love,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment