Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Berlin Day 3 - 8/26

Hallo!

Another detailed daily update!  It is sort of a travel-log for me.  Please delete if you are not a fan of long travel emails.  Otherwise...

I got up late today (still recovering from jet-lag) and didn't get out the door until noon!  By then it had started raining.  Boo.  Well, for a rainy day, it turned out to be one of my most comfortable and interesting.  Not sure if that makes sense.  With my handy drugstore umbrella I wandered the street considered to be the "rodeo drive of Berlin", Ku'damm.  Just window shopping, I assure you, but pretending to buy things the entire time.

I wandered into the Kathe Kollwitz Museum for an hour somewhere in the middle of the excursion when the rain and the crowds were too much.  She was a famous artist at the turn of the century Berlin and lived through both world wars.  Her work was very socially conscience and well loved, but needless to say, very depressing.  As I left the museum, I knew I needed to get that sadness of Berlin's past out of my system...

So I went to the largest department store in Europe!  KaDeWe (Tracy, I'm sure you went there) is the hugest most luxurious store I've seen.  If you want it, its there.  All the leading designers have their own "store" on the zero floor.  Then you have your typical mens, womens, children...each on their own very large floors.  Then of course housewares where you can get curtains if you need them and I even found designer dog collars and china dog bowls on the 5th floor (sorry Rosie, none for you).  They have the most amazing china and crystal section I have ever seen, more stuffed animals than a child would know what to do with, and a lovely book store.  Finally I went to the sixth floor!!!  Talk about Luxury.  It is a gourmet market, but more than that...it combines the best market I've ever seen with the best cheese and wine shop with the best chocolate shop and then added many fancy food bars for the sipping of fine champagnes!!!  Okay, who's flying out to see me tomorrow?? 

I had to hurry back to the hotel and change my clothes to go see Meg Stuart's performance.  It was fantastic!  Very happy that I managed to get tickets because again I feel that it will inform my thesis.  This really is an educational trip.  I also (while ordering a prosecco at the concession area) overheard two people speaking English without German accents.  I had to say something!  So I made my first friends here.  Sarah and Martin, two dancers who live here and are both your typical dancers...a little scattered and self-centered, but ultimately really friendly.  We all saw a second (just mediocre) performance together and finally said good night.  
I then went next door to the oldest pub/restaurant in Berlin started by a farmer in 1621.  I was sat in the seat that is reserved for the regulars (you know that made me feel special) and I ate blood sausage with creamy sauerkraut.  Very good, but very filling.  I am happy to be back in the hotel now to rest my feet.  I am wearing myself out...I may need a break.  

Love you all and thanks for listening,
Alicia

ps - I'll work on getting pictures out in the morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment