Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Berlin Day 2 - 8/25

I'm really trying to use a little of the language ("Das Bitte" = "that please"), but I am easily annoyed with myself and start speaking English.  They may not be able to tell I am a tourist when they first see me (I kind of fit in with my blond hair and no make-up) but once I do anything (get out my travel books, ask for the bill right when I'm done eating, smile) they know I'm an American tourist.  And honestly, they are nice enough anyway.  I just like those few moments that no one knows!!!

I wandered around an area called Alexander Platz and other parts of Mitte today.  Mostly the shopping parts!  I tried one more time to buy a pair of ballet flats that EVERYONE in Berlin is wearing, but for the hundredth time, they rubbed too much on the back of my heals.  Knowing this may happen, I had flip-flops in my bag.  Guess I am just a California girl.  My boot-cut jeans are also a dead give-away.

I saw another performance tonight.  This was actually not with the festival, but a local berlin artist.  It was great and very informative for my thesis!  They spoke alot and only in German, but I think I know what the piece was expressing.  Interesting to think about that.  Dance as a language that is not directly translatable in the same way that the German language is, for me, not translatable.     

That's it from Berlin...much love,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment