Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Berlin Day 5 - 8/28 (best day ever)

For the last two days I've awoken with the notion that somehow this excitement is going to slow down.  Each day cannot possibly live up to the last.  But each day I am taken aback by the surprises that await me.  I kind of sound like a Disneyland advertisement, but I'm serious!  

Today I managed to get out the door at 11am (kudos to me!!).  My plan was to head straight for the closest H&M store and have a nice leisurely shopping day.  H&M plaster large ads all over the city and somehow they've put me under their spell.  I am hooked.  Elizabeth, H&M is my new favorite store ever!  So I bought my trench coat for 29,99 euro and started to head up the street.  It reminded me of the upper east side of Manhattan with its Gucci and Hermes and Rolex.  Turns out that this IS what they call it...the upper east side (of Mitte).

As I finished my window shopping, I decided to take a little detour.  I started to feel a chilling wind blow (not kidding).  I was getting close to Checkpoint Charlie so I looked in my travel book for details.  Turned out that I was across the street from the Nazi building where all the horrible ideas and plans of Hitler's regime were created.  I had to turn away, and find my U-bahn fast.  I feel sorry for the Berliners and the reminders of their hideous past everywhere they turn.  However, this is not how I want to spend my vaca...so off to the hotel I go to do some dance writing.
Only, right around the corner from my nice quiet hotel is a sign that says Hofenfest (Portfest or Marinafest according to google translator)!!  There were booths and tents set up all around the marina and all of the old fishing boats were on display, some even serving food and drink.  I decided to put off writing to enjoy some good ol' Brotwurst and Kirsch Bier (cherry beer...not too sweet!) I listened to a German band play the traditional German tunes.  I watched an old-fashioned Berlin boat contest on the river.  Then suddenly...micro burst!! It was a down poor like I haven't experienced since I lived in AZ.  One moment everyone is laughing and applauding, the next moment soaked to the bone!  Too bad I hadn't put my trench coat on yet.  My umbrella worked fine except for when the wind flipped it upside down.

I got dry and then got ready to see a 4pm performance (not amazing but interesting) and then a 7pm performance at a dance space that I am in total awe of.  This is a space dedicated only to dance. Sasha Waltz found an old factory building and made it new with dance studios, performance spaces, and pre/post-performance socializing.  Audiences enjoy gorgeous views of the river while they sip on beer or wine preparing themselves for the show.  This kind of space would be my dream!  I saw William Forsythe tonight and I will say without any doubt that this was the most amazing performance I have ever seen.  He is from the US, but has his company in Frankfurt. He is a dance legend already, but I certainly didn't expect this.  The piece is called "Human Writes", if you've seen it you may know what I mean.  I was stunned and deeply moved by this performance and again have found more support for my thesis ideas.  

On my way home wearing my new Trench, I stopped by the Hefenfest again (some very drunk Germans by 9pm) and had another German dish which I don't know the name of since I just pointed to it and said "Das".  What a nice little event and what great timing for me!

Hope all is well and take good care of our Rosie!!

Much love,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment