Friday, July 8, 2011

Prague - Day 5

Dobry Den!

Is it already day 5?  Isn't that how it goes?  At first it seemed like such a long time to be in Prague by myself, but now I'm getting a little sad that it is only two more days.  I've finally gotten a hold on this place.  Prague's beauty and history have been consuming me these last few days, but that is not where my deep interests lie.  It may not surprise you all that I am most interested in "now".  Well, I think I finally got out of the tourist bubble (which Prague does a fabulous job of creating) and have a better view of this entire experience.

Starting with the view from the Mandarin Oriental!  Only shortly after I booked my ticket to Prague and Mom was worrying about me big time, a beautiful tall dark haired angel entered her travel agency to tell her all about this five star hotel in Prague.  She and Mom connected immediately...changing Mom's view of this entire situation (only after learning that the original hotel Mom had booked for me was at the center of Prague's late night party scene and has a stripper pole in the bar downstairs - naturally, we found another hotel for me - Hotel Julian - known for its quiet oasisness and library on the first floor - this is more MY scene, I'm afraid)  Happily, due to this meeting of Mom and Gabriela, I was able to connect with someone who lives in Prague.  And today she brought me to lunch at her hotel!  I had to pretend I was Mom (a travel agent from Scottsdale) for a moment for the GM, but that was fine.  The food was amazing and though they have traditional Czech food, I ordered (as recommended by Gabriela) from the asian selection.  Yummy!!!!!  And I enjoyed a Czech wine which she was excited to have me try since I live inCalifornia.  It was very good - for a white wine.  

We talked alot - I learned a little about life before the iron curtain came down (life in communism) when she was just a young girl and mostly I learned about her life here in Prague 'now' and what she admires about the U.S.  It was really nice.  And I was so happy to speak out loud!!!!!!!  I can't express enough how important this has been for both of my trips outside the U.S.  I start to feel a bit isolated.  Not that I can't order or ask for things.  That is easy, almost everyone speaks English or at least body language and pointing helps. But the opportunity to talk and really talk for a couple of hours is so valuable.  Not just type...physically talk. (I told Marc that I've noticed the voice in my head is developing a Czech accent!)

Gabriela then took me on a private tour of the hotel and took my picture standing on the large terrace of the presidential suite which arguably has the best view of the Prague castle in the entire city.  AMAZING!!  The hotel itself is an old monastery that was renovated about 6 years ago.  It is done just perfectly with the charm and structure of the old (even some parts where the really old - 1320 - can be seen through glass walls or floors) but with modern aesthetics.  They have the only "proper" - to quote Gabriela - spa in the city which is housed in the old church and maintains a spiritual and calming presence.  Many locals frown upon the hotel for renovating a historical site (everything here is a historic site!), but I say halaluyah!!   

By now, my colleagues are starting to show up for the festival, so I ate dinner with my collaborator Omar Ramos.  I suggested a place that I've passed in Old Town both times I got lost.  I think it appealed to me because it wasn't like everything else.  It wasn't a cavernous pub or a romantic street cafe, but looked more like a place I might enjoy in San Francisco.  And it was!   It was a wine and cheese restaurant.  Perfect...neither of us were terribly hungry (stuffed from my curry dish at MO) but we wanted to catch up.  It was great wine and great cheese and again, it was nice to talk.  And this time to an American with similar interests.  Phew.  That hour went by fast and then I had to rush off to see my show.

Now this is where I have to take back what I said last night.  As I emerge from my tourist bubble, I can recognize that this festival actually does have something big going on.  They know what they're doing and bringing in fantastic dance artists from all over the world.  I saw one of the most incredible dancers in the world this evening - Louise Lecavalier of La La La Human Steps in Canada.  She is absolutely incredible.  Her physicality was so strong and yet she entered into it so easily and non-chalently, almost like walking.  A skill I am constantly working on.  How do I keep my performing self alive/here/now while dancing choreographed movements?  She does it well.  And she is 53.  Wow...she dances with the wisdom of a 53 year old mixed with the body and movement quality of a 23 year old - amazing.

I left the theatre totally satisfied by her performance...

Until tomorrow,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment