Friday, July 8, 2011

Prague - Day 4

Hello All,

I'm in early tonight.  I had a ticket reserved for me (hadn't paid yet) that I was to pick up on Friday for a show tonight, but when the woman in the box office spoke no English and gave me major attitude, I took that as a sign.  So instead I participated for the first time in the PQ (Prague Quadrennial of performance design and space) and went to a lecture about digital sound/music and performance given by a guy from Boston's MITMedia Lab.  His many inventions and concepts were incredible (two of his students created Guitar Hero and Rock Band!) but then he presented an opera that he created with humans and robots.  Hmmmm...I'm not buying it.  This guy has such brilliant ideas, but put into opera/narrative form, it just turned lame.  Imagine Star Wars as an opera instead of a movie...only with a lame story line.  

I don't mean to be such a performance snob, its just that last year I saw some of the most incredible work I've ever seen...in Berlin.

That's what I've been doing this entire trip.  Comparing the two.  And that's not really fair.  Berlin is a thriving metropolis where innovative artists in all fields go to live and make work for an audience with a hunger for intelligent new work and last year I was in town specifically for their big dance festival (which was far bigger than Prague's and could afford to bring in really big names!)  Clearly, I connected with it.  Prague, as I've said, thrives on tradition.  Which means that their arts (down to their architecture) is traditional.  Tourists buy tickets to the traditional operas and the ballets.  Luckily, though, anywhere the arts live, so do the contemporary arts, they just don't seem to play as large of a role as I'd hoped.  

But this makes me all the more pumped to present my work!  I realize how lucky I am to have had the influences I have at UCSD and in San Diegoin general to move me forward towards what interests me.  I have a feeling the sound designers here are going to be blown away by my collaborator as he performs and mixes my voice in real-time using fancy computer software.  All very cool.

The only new thing I did today was wander through a few parks.  One giant park and one small garden.  As if I haven't already walked enough, I found a "walk" in one of my Prague books that starts at the west corner of a large park called Petrin.  It just happens to be right outside my hotel.  So, I thought, Why not.  That must have been the worst map/guide I've ever used (I am a little bummed that I didn't get the travel guide by Frommer's call: Frommer's Day by Day Prague.  I used that pocket guide in Berlin and went on all kinds of great walks - see there I go again comparing).  Anyways, I didn't manage to see the summit of this hill where they have built what was meant to look like a smaller version of theEiffel Tower.  Really its just a TV tower meant to jumble the German's TV signals.  I'm okay with not getting a close up on that.  Plus it was chilly and raining.  I then made my way to another small park where to my surprise wandered Peacocks.  All around!  I was in shock.  This walled garden and all these peacocks sitting up on a gazebo.  I got pictures.

I did eat at a great restaurant called Cafe Savoy.  I was very please with my meal, but even more pleased with the caramel cream puff I ordered for desert with a glass of champagne.  Don't worry, the food may look bland but if you like meat and potatoes like I do - you're in good shape.  Oh, and I realize why the city is so clean despite every reason for it not to be - they have a large number of employees working in waste management.  Around the clock, I see workers dressed in orange and green jumpsuits cleaning up trash cans, sweeping streets...its nuts, but it sure does work!  This city is super clean and like I said, smells glorious.

Much love,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment