Friday, July 8, 2011

Prague - Day 3

Ahoj! Again...I had a great day here in Bohemia.  That's right, this is Bohemia.  It makes me want to sing "La Vie Boheme" from the musical RENT.

I've determined that Prague seems to be a haven for visitors.  Its history and tradition attract tourists from all over Europe (plus, its the beginning of peak tourist season).  And they are serving up "history" all over town.  I'm sure there is more to know about Prague (Its kind of like assuming that Scottsdale is all cowboys), but most of what I'm seeing is tradition (and amazing views) so I've decided to go with it.

And just because this city is old, doesn't mean it is run-down.  No sir.  They keep these buildings painted perfectly and in the most beautiful colors.  The city of Prague is appealing to my senses in ways that I didn't expect.  It smells like Peonies everywhere I go (and yet I see no blooms). It sounds like silence (no cars or trams can fit in many of the old roads).  It looks like a child's drawing of a town so crammed and colorful that it couldn't be real.  (Its tastes are a bit lacking, I'm afraid.)

Today, I headed out to explore my side of the river.  This city is divided into many different parts:  The Old Town and New Town (which is still old, just not as old) are on the east side of the river and considered the city center.  The west side of the river is where the castle and the "little quarter" are located.  I'm just south of "little quarter".  So...I decided to explore "little quarter".  And when I walked outside, it started raining.  But only lightly.  This was a welcomed change, I'm not sure how long I could walk around this town in the humid heat. 

There is a reason that the Prague Castle is #1 on every list of top ten things to see in Prague.  Its beautiful.  Super old (1230 at its earliest) and beautiful (BTW - I saw another bride).  What I like most, though, were the Castle gardens!!  They were like a little escape...like the Secret Garden!   I think I walked through what used to be the mote, but now is a green valley that runs all along the outside of the castle.  The truth is, I hadn't actually planned to go to the castle today.  I was originally heading to the Museum of Miniatures and I finally found it!  There I got the chance to see a flea wearing two golden horseshoes while holding scissors, a key, and a lock.  Literally...I saw it with my own eyes (under a microscope).  I can't even find the fleas that bug Rosie, let alone design shoes for one!  How in the heck?...(more like, "why in the heck...?")  There also was a piece of human hair with the lords prayer typed on it.  That must have been a tiny type-writer. (sorry, bad joke)

The great thing was that this museum was at the top of a hill, and as I started to walk down...I saw the view!  WOW!!  INCREDIBLE!!  This was the spot.  I found a great restaurant/cafe and decided to sit for an hour and have a late lunch.  I had a Kir Royal (my favorite) and pasta (salty) but couldn't get my eyes off the view.  Until a group of Americans came to the patio just below us on their Segways.  What!!  Even I was a bit embarrassed for them.  While I thought for a moment that it would be nice to get off my feet for a bit, I wouldn't be caught dead in those hats they were wearing.  Plus, we were pretty high up - one wrong move and...

When I finished I strolled through the quant little medieval village and was thoroughly charmed.  They say Mozart and other composers/writers have been charmed by these streets.  I see why.  Though I became curious when I saw kids (18 years old, I suppose) eating dark green ice cream.  Whoah.  That was Absinth Ice Cream!  I guess I'm in Prague.  I wonder if Mozart found his muse in absinth?  La Vie Boheme.  (I decided not to try it this time, though)

FInally, I went to the theatre and saw a new play.  I thought is was fun, but I don't feel inspired to write anything more about it except - when in doubt, add a live piglet to the act.  Everyone loves a cute little pig running around on stage.  

Much love,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment