Thursday, February 5, 2015

Process Works Update #1: Casting

I have always been the type of artist who delights in taking my time with the creative process. I cherish time and space as I allow my work to be revealed to me.

I started this process last April (2014) - not knowing where it would lead. My plan was to work with dancers individually for seven rehearsals with the intention to eventually put a group together. It's amazing what these one on one rehearsals did for me and the group. I was able to build a dialog with each of the dancers individually about the internal workings of my aesthetic. Each of them worked somewhat differently, but the 5 dancers I asked to be in the group had several things in common.

First of all, they are each choreographers in their own right so they come to the work with an intrinsic understanding of the organization of space and time. However, though they are experienced dancers and dance makers (mostly in their thirties) they choose to enter into my process with curiosity, vulnerability, and trust. Trust in me & my processes, trust in each other, and trust in themselves. It's a beautiful space to begin making work.

Thank you Kris, Erica, Jenn, Lara, Ariana, and Kyle. It's my pleasure to work with you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment