Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Creative Process of Grant Writing

I'm a little embarrassed that I've let so much time go by without publishing a new post.  It's not that I haven't been writing…oh, I have been writing.  Grant writing.

As many of you may know, grant writing can be intense.

#1 - There is money on the line
#2 - There is money on the line
#3 - How in the world am I supposed to write about a piece I haven't even made yet!
#4 - Even if I can imagine a piece before I've made it, how do I write about it with clarity.
#5 - Budget??!!!

It can be exhausting, but…I love it.

Let me explain. Of course, I love to write about dance or I wouldn't have started this blog. But more importantly the grant writing process allows me to create a vision for my work. I've learned over time how to express clearly what I know about my process - timing for the project, location, collaborators, etc. I've also learned how to be transparent about what I don't know, but this can be difficult. Without knowing what my piece will look like when its done, I can share with my possible funders how I will go about creating the work, what questions I will work with, and what experiments I intend to pursue in rehearsal. They want to know that their money will be put to good use, and it is my job to be clear and confident about how I intend to make this project happen from beginning to end. (Always be sure to have several people read your work before you turn it in. This is incredibly important!)

I say all this as someone who actually hasn't yet received any money from a grant. I have, however, gotten great feedback on my grant writing from individuals who have years of experience on both sides of the granting process. While this is no consolation to actually receiving the funds, it is encouraging and keeps me engaging with this process.

Maybe more important than the money (though funding for the arts is the only way it can be sustainable) is the creative clarity that grant writing provides for me. It forces me to look at my process, create a timeline, gather artists, and create a concept. By the time the grant is due, I am ready to get started!!

Grant or proposal writing has become an integral part of my creative process and I would recommend it to anyone with a seedling of an idea. Explore the logistics, create a plan (an open/flexible plan of course), and let your imagination help you create your vision.  It's an important step toward making your work a reality.

I'll let you know what happens with these grants - fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment